Urban Knaves of Grain (UKG)

A forum to share information among members of the Urban Knaves of Grain (UKG) Homebrew Club. Please visit http://www.knaves.org for more information.
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:56 pm 

So Gerry turned me on to Williams Brewing at the Xmas party. They have a cute little wort pump for $69 he says, and sends me the link.

I buy the thing and when it comes I buy new hoses and fittings so I can test it out. What a disappointment! Damn thing moves tap water, but not well; and only if I force RUNNING tap water thru it... WAY more than just a prime.

So I take the pump head apart, and find that the damn motor runs backwards! (Impeller is designed to push to the right, but the motor turns to the left. )

So I emailed both Williams and the mfgr., and sent videos demonstrating the problem. Long short, Williams is sending me a new one; AND I don't have to send this'n back . But how can I fix this one?

According to the Internet, I s/b able to reverse the leads from the capacitor to the commutator. But I just tried that, and it still runs backwards. If I lift one wire off the cap, and spin the impeller to the right, it will continue turning right, but THAT'S a PIA!

Any ideas? I'd love to have two working pumps for the price of one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk