Urban Knaves of Grain (UKG)

A forum to share information among members of the Urban Knaves of Grain (UKG) Homebrew Club. Please visit http://www.knaves.org for more information.
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:05 pm 

HOP: Nelson Sauvin

BREWER: Pat Riley

DESCRIPTION: A variety bred from New Zealand variety “Smoothcone” and a selected New Zealand male. Developed at New Zealand HortResearch and released in 2000. The essential oil profile displays “fresh crushed gooseberries” a term used for the grape variety Sauvignon Blanc, giving rise to this variety’s name.

AA: 12.0 - 13.0

BREW NOTES (WHAT WENT RIGHT/WRONG): Nothing went wrong...regular brew day.

AROMA/TASTE: Earthy notes, white wine fruitiness – to me clicks with most of the descriptions I’ve read regarding its aroma and taste. Maybe a bit of allspice note to it as well.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Nice aroma and flavor, not overpowering. Somewhat mellow bitterness. Eager to hear what others think of this.

BEER STYLES: Likely any beer with a desired subtle fruity taste. APA is a likely candidate. Maybe an IPA with other hops that would balance bitter with the earthy fruitiness of the Nelson Sauvin.

OTHER COMMENTS: I would use it again if readily available, likely in an APA combined with another variety of hop or two.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:26 am 

Excellent meeting last night. This was a great opportunity to try a bunch of hops and get a feel for the character they give.Thanks to all who participated!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:10 am 

Yes it was a great project/experiment, but a bit disappointing that only 6 people (out of 20-some brewers?) took the time to fill out the form that Andrew Day asked us to. It killed the format that Andrew wanted to run (granted, the double booking of the back room didn't help either). We're up there volunteering our time, and organizing things on our own time, for the good of the club, it would be nice if people did their part too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:36 pm 

On that note. If anybody did take tasting notes on Thursday, send them my way and I'll compile.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6