Urban Knaves of Grain (UKG)

A forum to share information among members of the Urban Knaves of Grain (UKG) Homebrew Club. Please visit http://www.knaves.org for more information.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:32 pm 

So I have now acquired 5 Cornys from differing soda companies. Some Dr. Pepper, a coupla Cokes and a 7-Up. Anyway since they are all second, third or fourth hand, they have different colored O rings on the in/outs. This confuses me. I also bought some hoses and connex from the late great Tom F, and some are grey, some are black, as well as new units, and spmetimes a given connector will NOT click onto the tit. This upsets me.

Would someone plz set me straight in terms of what color goes where? Also, are there different size poppers, or does it just seem that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:33 pm 

Damn it! Poppets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:21 pm 

I use the same o-rings on all of my posts - one size for the post, one size for the dip tubes. About 2 cents apiece from McMaster, so they get changed at every cleaning. I know Coke is pin-lock, not sure about 7-Up products. The colors really don't mean anything in terms of size or where they're used. Some people like to color code the posts to reduce the likelihood of hooking up the gas to the liquid post and vice versa. Probably not as big a deal with pin locks because you can't switch them. Generally speaking, gray connectors are for gas, black are for liquid. At least that's the case with ball locks. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I have a mix of Cormelius and Firestone kegs. I use the same poppets in all of them (maybe I got lucky?). I bought two dozen poppets on ebay a few years ago. Like o-rings, it's good to keep a few on hand.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:56 pm 

Thanks Mike!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:43 pm 

The 7UP products use ball locks. The Gas and Liquid disconnects look the same but will not click on to the opposite post. I believe the black disconnects are the liquid side and the white/gray disconnects are for the gas side.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:34 am 

For my personal benefit, I change the o-rings to have a colored o-ring on the gas side and a black one on the liquid. Then, even if I've had a few to drink, I'll always know which is which instead of trying to figure it out on the spot.

As said before, the gray connects are usually for gas and the black/white for liquid and they will only work with their appropriate gas or liquid connection.

Brewmaster
Kilted Hop Brewing
http://www.facebook.com/KiltedHop
http://www.untappd.com/KiltedHopBrewing